Friday, September 28, 2007

Changes in Sexual Desire Following Hysterectomy

QUESTION: It's not something I feel I can discuss with my doctor, but a
recent hysterectomy has brought about some unwanted and unexpected changes in
my sexual desire. All my previous feelings have changed, and I am afraid I
have become a wife with a perpetual "headache". Is this a normal result of my
surgery, or can I be helped?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: It is neither a "normal result" nor one you have to accept, for help
was only a conversation away, if you had but consulted with your physician.
It's not that this situation is unusual, for surgery of this type has both a
physical as well as an emotional impact upon your life, but there are no
lasting effects that must discourage you from your normal fulfillment. To be
sure, intercourse may be painful if wound healing is not complete, and should
await your follow up visit with your surgeon. Even if you had your ovaries
removed, hormone replacement can restore normal vaginal secretions. You need
reassurance and the knowledge that this operation is not the end of your
sexual life. Many deeply entrenched myths surround this surgery, including
the one that normal relations are no longer possible. Even husbands may feel
strange if not afforded the opportunity to express fears and doubts. You both
need an opportunity to open up and discuss your feelings. Both you and your
husband are entitled to a real sit down session with your doctor, who can
provide you with the answers to relieve your anxiety and end your headaches,
if you will only reveal your problem and request the needed counseling
session.

0 Comments:

-