Tuesday, October 9, 2007

What Can Be Done About Memory Loss?

QUESTION: I hate the signs of aging which I can detect in others, and am most
distressed by those same signs when I find them in myself. Now my husband
keeps telling me that I am losing my memory, and I am not sure that he isn't
right. What can one do about this problem? I would appreciate any help you
can offer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: All of us experience moments of forgetfulness from time to time. A
busy schedule, worry over health problems, and just plain "too much on our
minds" can contribute to temporary lapses of memory. This is perfectly normal
and nothing to be alarmed about. But if memory loss becomes noticeable and
troublesome and if (like an estimated 3 to 4 million Americans over age 60)
you find yourself forgetting recent events, it's time to see your doctor.
Some of the early signs of true memory loss which your doctor will be
alert for are repeated forgetting of things like keys, glasses and
appointments, retelling stories or events in the same conversation, problems
recalling new names and places, difficulty learning new facts or skills, and a
progressive lack of interest in appearance and personal hygiene. He'll want
to know if you have trouble getting out words "on the tip of your tongue," if
your attention span is short, and most importantly, if you often forget things
which happen day to day.
The key words to remember are repeated and often. Occasional slips are
inevitable in this hectic world, frequent memory loss is not and could signal
some physical problem. Among the many possible causes are poor nutrition,
diabetes, anemia, thyroid problems, depression, and medications or
combinations of medications you might be taking. Whatever the cause, the
important thing to know is that it's treatable. Early diagnosis can
definitely better the chances for improvement.

0 Comments:

-