Thursday, September 27, 2007

Other Tests in Addition to a Pap Smear

QUESTION: At my most recent yearly examination, I asked my doctor to perform
a Pap smear to check on the possibility of infections that might have been
picked up during the year. He insisted on a batch of other tests in addition,
including blood tests. Was he correct in doing this, or was this just another
way of increasing my bill?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: I wish I could always be a strong in my support of physician's
actions as I am in this case. Your physician's actions were totally correct
and deserve your complete cooperation. I read into your letter a life style
that may expose you to infections known as Sexually Transmitted Diseases
(STDs). Many of these infections produce no symptoms, but can be dangerous to
both you and your sexual partners. A Pap smear is an excellent way to screen
for cancer, but is a poor test for infections compared to others, including
blood tests. Since early diagnosis of STD's leads to early treatment, you can
prevent the complications that often accompany these infections. If the tests
prove positive, be sure to complete the course of treatment your physician
will recommend. If they are negative, a discussion with your physician about
safe sex precautions and life style modifications may be just the thing in
your situation.

0 Comments:

-