Thursday, September 27, 2007

Parkinson's Disease and Walking

QUESTION: I suffer with Parkinson's disease. While the medication helps
somewhat, I can not walk as I wish, and I know my family must hang back and
wait for me on many occasions. I am embarrassed and wish I could do better.
Can you please offer me any suggestions that might help?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: I'll do all I can, short of a personal house call. The truth is that
a few sessions with a talented Physical Therapist may do you more good, but as
for some helpful suggestions, here goes. Most patients with Parkinson's
Disease walk with a stooped, forward bent position, and walk on the balls of
their feet. This induces a type of gait called shuffling, steps that grow
smaller and swifter as the distance increases. It is to this shuffling gate
that we must direct our attention. If shuffling begins while you are walking,
stop walking, and reorganize. Place your feet about eight inches apart, and
stand as straight as you can. Then think about your next step. You will take
a large step, bringing your foot up as if marching. Point your toes up and
place your heel on the ground first, as the foot strikes, then roll forward
onto your toes. Now the next foot, same procedures. Swing the opposite arm
forward when taking that step, to improve your rhythm and your appearance.
Don't be embarrassed, but look proud, as proud as your family is to be walking
with you.

0 Comments:

-