Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What is Gardener-Diamond Syndrome?

QUESTION: I have a peculiar pattern of frequent bruising. It doesn't seem to
have anything to do with a knock or bang, but the bruise is painful, and lasts
for several days. My doctor explained it as something to do with gardiners'
red cells, but by the time I arrived home it made no sense. I am truly
worried. Can you help?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: When we are under stress, we can easily be confused by an explanation
about a diagnosis that causes us great anxiety. I believe your doctor was
trying to explain Gardener-Diamond Syndrome to you. It is a disease of the
immune system in which the body becomes sensitized to its own red cells and
destroys some of them. Frequently emotional stress plays a part in setting
off the development of these bruises. Usually there is a local sensation of
burning or tingling that occurs from 18 to 24 hours before the bruises
(purpura) appear, which can last for 5 to 7 days. They are most frequently
seen on the extremities and scalp, seldom on the back, and do appear in areas
where there is no history of a bang or knock. However, since they are
painful, patients frequently believe they have had some kind of trauma to the
area. Blood tests to help diagnose this condition, such as coagulation tests
and platelet counts, are normal. It's a diagnosis that is sometimes quite
difficult to make, and once made, it is a discouraging disease to treat.
There are no known cures, and even the use of cortisone-like medications and
antihistamines offer little relief. Attempts to desensitize the body are also
unsuccessful. You may also expect this to recur every now and again, usually
when things are not going your way and you are having some emotional or
psychological problems. With this explanation in hand it might be wise to
return to your doctor so he can discuss your personal situation and offer some
explanations that are particular to your situation.

2 Comments:

katrina riley said...

I was diagnosed with GDS 15 months ago but have had it for over 4 years now.This has progressed to a living nightmare that continues to get worse.When my bruises are out on my legs I end up having to use a walker and or cane until they subside.The pain is at times unbearable.I feel absolutely helpless in stopping the progression of my disease.The only thing I know to be sure is that this disease has taken control of all aspects of my life.Is there anything to do to stop this?

katrina riley said...

Where can I see a response to a coment made?

-