Saturday, September 22, 2007

Alcohol and Driving

Alcohol and Driving

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION: I know I can handle my liquor, and probably do not become as
affected by alcohol as others might. But after a recent party some of my
friends insisted that I take a cab home when I knew that a cup of coffee or
two was all I needed to make it easy. Were they right in their opinion, or
was I?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: Your friends were certainly using good sense and protecting your best
interests by calling a cab to get you home safely. The combination of alcohol
and caffeine can be even more dangerous than alcohol alone. The alcohol
impairs your physical skills and coordination. It impedes judgement and
diminishes key visual abilities, such as your eyes' ability to adapt to the
dark and readjust to lights. Caffeine, on the other hand, seems to make you
move faster. While it may improve your performance of a simple task, it will
not help you with a difficult one such as driving. Caffeine and other
stimulants may give you the illusion or self-confidence and increase
aggression. The caffeine in a cup of coffee may also give you the false sense
of being alert, but as long as the alcohol is still in your blood your
judgements and skills will be impaired. Your defense of your actions rings an
alarm bell in my mind, and prompts me to offer you a bit more advice in your
own interest. Why not check with someone who understands and counsels
individuals with drinking problems? It might save your life.

0 Comments:

-