Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Safety of Exercise During Pregnancy

The Safety of Exercise During Pregnancy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION: I am a bit of an exercise fanatic, but now the welcome news that I
am pregnant is causing me to rethink my training program. I would appreciate
any information you may have concerning the safety of exercise during this
period of my life. I would hate to lose all of the progress I have made, but
will doing nothing to hurt the baby.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: This is a most common situation, and the question of exercise during
pregnancy still remains one of controversy and discussion in the medical
literature. The basic concerns relate to the way your body is changing as you
progress in your pregnancy, and whether the modifications that occur because
of intensive training can affect these changes. It seems as there is no
absolutes; with many differing opinions, I can only point out some basic
considerations. You realize that as you as the baby grows bigger, your own
balance and center of gravity will change, and throw your coordination off.
Your body is even now preparing for the delivery, and changes in your hormones
are loosening your ligaments and other tissue. That may cause increased
mobility in your joints that could lead to an exercise injury. There is
concern that the increased demand for oxygen for exercising muscles may
diminish the available oxygen for the baby. In an attempt to bring some order
to the situation, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
developed guidelines which suggest that you only participate in exercise
designed to keep your pulse rate under 140/min and that you limit your
sessions to only 15 minutes. Any complications in the pregnancy would require
you to stop all extra exertion. But when you reflect on the reasons, I am
sure you won't mind.

0 Comments:

-