Sunday, September 30, 2007

Alternatives to Gallstone Surgery

QUESTION: When my doctor told me that the cause of all my trouble was
gallstones, I could have fainted. I am deathly afraid of anything that even
resembles surgery, and I don't even want to go to a hospital for treatment. I
know there must be another way, a diet or a medicine or something, that will
let me stay at home and be treated there. Do you know of anything that can
help me?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: Your question resembles so many others. When a diagnosis is made
that can be corrected with surgery, we all begin to seek other means of
ridding ourself of the ailment or disease. Very often it is the only way to a
cure, and I recommend that path, confidant that skilled surgeons exist
throughout our land with well equipped hospitals to assure the care and
treatment necessary. You, dear reader, however, have "lucked out" if you
will, for a new medication is available that may be able to help you. It's
called ursodiol (Actigall manufactured by Ciba-Geigy), and comes in pill form.
It is useful to dissolve noncalcified stones that are transparent
(radiolucent) on x-ray. You will have to check with your physician to be sure
that the stones causing your pain are the type that this medication will work
on. You will need a 300 mg dose twice a day, and may experience some mild
diarrhea as a side effect, although from your letter I doubt that this will
bother you half as much as your fears. I hope this will work for you,
otherwise you will have to rethink your position, for painful gallstones are
not easy to live with.

0 Comments:

-