Sunday, September 30, 2007

Chicken Pox Diagnosis and Treatment

QUESTION: I am a ten year old girl who has never had chickenpox. 16 days ago
the girl who sits next to me in class broke out with them. Yesterday, I found
two red bumps on my face with sort of a blister in them. I also have cold
like symptoms, such as a full head, sore throat and runny nose. Do you think
I have a very mild case of chickenpox, or should I wait and see if more spots
appear?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: By the time you read this in your newspaper, the verdict will be in,
but your question provides me with the opportunity to review the details of
chickenpox (varicella) for all. Yes, I think you have it, probably in a mild
form. Chickenpox is a highly communicable viral infection, and begins 11 to
15 days after exposure starting with the cold symptoms you described. The
spots are red with a clear "tear drop" blister at first, and rapidly turn to
crusty lesions within 6 to 8 hours. The rash comes in crops with new spots
developing as old ones begin to fade away, and spread all over the body, but
by the fifth or sixth days no new lesions will develop and even the crusts
will be gone in less than 20 days. It's a very itchy disease, but don't
scratch as this can provoke additional skin infection, and leave you with ugly
little scars (pox marks). Usually wet compresses can control the itch. In
severe cases, antihistamines may be used. Since some scratching always
occurs, and since bacterial infection of the skin occurs frequently, it is a
good idea to keep your nails clipped short, and wash your hands thoroughly and
frequently. As with all viral infections in young people, aspirin should not
be taken, to prevent the development of Reyes Syndrome. I hope your case was
a mild one, and that you are now back in school. You can let me know in your
next letter.

0 Comments:

-