Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Is Surgical Repair Necessary For a Ruptured Bicep?

QUESTION: Three weeks ago I ruptured my left bicep. Now I get an abnormal
bulge when I flex my arm. It causes no discomfort, but I am wondering if it
is necessary to submit to surgical repair since it does not interfere with my
normal activities. I am 64 years of age.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: The biceps is a most interesting and important muscle. Its name
comes from the fact that it has two major parts, or heads (bi: two; ceps:
heads), separate masses of muscle, which start from two origins in the
shoulder but end in a single ligament attached to the radius, a bone of the
forearm. While its major function is to lift the lower arm towards the body,
it also helps to twist the lower arm. It is a strong muscle, but it was never
designed so that just one head could manage the work normally assigned to two.
You have been fortunate in not taxing the muscle so far, but if we wish to
stay with the warning "If it isn't broken, don't fix it," then we must accept
the need to fix what has been damaged. The operation is not complicated, but
in my opinion it is necessary for a man your age.
----------------
The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace
the counsel and advice of your personal physician. Promptly consulting your
doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical
problem.

0 Comments:

-