Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What is Strep Latina?

QUESTION: I am sure the diagnoses of a recent infection in my youngster was
called strep latina, but my trips to the library have been in vain. No such
strep! Since everything is now fine, I don't want to bother my own doctor, so
can I please bother you? Have you any idea what this infection is?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: It is no bother, that's why we're here. It was a bit more like a
hunt for a culprit without sufficient clues. Actually I was at a theater,
waiting for the show to begin, and the words of your question kept going
around and around in my mind when, suddenly, the flash came! Not strep
latina, but scarlatina, another name for scarlet fever, which is an infectious
disease caused by strains of Group A streptococci. Once a very common and
frightening disease, it is rather uncommon these days, due to the wide use of
effective antibiotics. It begins, ordinarily enough, with a sore throat and a
fever. In from 1 to 5 days, the characteristic fine sandpaper like red rash
appears on the chest, and rapidly spreads to all other parts of the body.
While there is a pale area around the lips, the rest of the face becomes
flushed and red. The tongue takes on a "strawberry" look, and some of the
creases in the skin show darker red lines. The skin rash is caused by a
toxin, or poison, produced by these special strains of the strep bug. Other
than that, the infection is much like a garden variety strep throat and can be
treated with penicillin, which shortens the course of the illness in young
children. At any rate the fever disappears after a few days, and the
infection will run its course with recovery complete in two weeks. I am sure
your youngster is well now, but certainly provided me with an interesting
puzzle.

0 Comments:

-