Sunday, October 21, 2007

How Painful is Delivering a Baby?

QUESTION: I am pregnant, for the first time, and reading everything I can lay
my hands on. I want to know how painful it is going to be, and everyone of my
friends tell a different tale. Sometimes I think they just are pulling my leg
for the fun of it. Even my doctor is less than informative about this, and
she is a woman too. Can you help me? I really want to know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: Even if I wrote a hundred different answers to your question, and
there are at least that many, I am sure your experience will be different.
And that is the point. Everyone's experience varies, and all I can provide is
a general answer, some averages and a few tips that may help.
As a first time mother, your labor will be longer than for a second or
third birth. As an average, it will be about 13 hours from the time you begin
active labor until the baby arrives. It could be less and it might be more.
See? Just averages.
Some women experience no pain at all, yet it is not called "labor"
without good reason. It is work, and hard work at that. Preparing for
delivery by taking one of the many courses offered by hospitals, birthing
centers and "Y's" can not only prepare you--and your husband--physically, but
mentally as well. The more you understand, the less your anxiety, and that
can lead to less pain. The exercises that form part of the training can help
develop your concentration, focus on meaningful muscular activity, conserve
your energies for the time that activity is most useful, and provide you with
relaxation techniques to use between contractions. All these elements lead to
a delivery that is "less painful". Or for those who are truly successful,
"painless".
Should the labor be protracted and demanding, help can be offered to you
in a number of ways. The use of narcotic pain killers still have a place
during the course of a labor, but have given way to two other techniques.
Both epidural and spinal anesthetics can be used to control pain, while still
permitting you to be alert and cooperate in the process. Finally, a general
anesthetic can be used if it is necessary for you to sleep while a difficult
delivery is accomplished.
Continue your research, learn all you can, take a good course, practice,
and then enjoy the marvel of new life. Good luck.

0 Comments:

-