Sunday, September 23, 2007

Can "Fifth Disease" Infection Affect an Unborn Baby?

Can "Fifth Disease" Infection Affect an Unborn Baby?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION: I am panic stricken. I am pregnant and my other child has broken
out with a rash, diagnosed as "Fifth Disease". My doctor fears that I may
catch the same infection, with serious effects to my unborn baby. Can I pass
anything on if I don't become infected? What are the risks to my baby? Do
you have any information to help me?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: Your concerns are shared by an ever increasing number of expectant
mothers whose youngsters come down with Fifth Disease (or as some would have
it, "Erythema Infectiosum"). The cause of this viral disease is a human
parvovirus B19, only recently discovered (in 1975) and subsequently identified
as the primary infectious agent in this disease. The data necessary to answer
your questions is only now being developed, but there are a few general facts
I can offer. If you have had or been exposed to this disease as a child, and
most adults have, it is doubtful that you can contract the disease a second
time. At present the tests necessary to determine your state of immunity are
only available at a few research laboratories, but your physician may be able
to obtain one for you. If you don't have the disease now while you are
pregnant, there is no chance that your baby will be affected. There is no
vaccine to prevent B19 infection, and there have been no studies to evaluate
the use of immune globulin injections to prevent infections or modify the
course of illness, and routine use of this injection in cases such as yours is
not recommended. There is reason to be optimistic, though, as published
reports on the outcomes of pregnancy for pregnant women who DO become infected
with B19 virus seem to indicate that if this disease does affect unborn
babies, it does so infrequently. Thus it would seem you are a long way from
having to consider any dire outcomes to this situation.

0 Comments:

-