Sunday, September 23, 2007

Mixed Up Medication?

Mixed Up Medication?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION: I have a constant pain in my legs, and have used many types of pain
killers, without too much effect. On my last visit, the doctor gave me a new
medication, and assured me it would help, and I do feel better. However, when
one of my friends saw me taking the pills, he showed me that he was taking the
same thing for his nerves, to help make him less depressed. Something is
mixed up here somewhere. Can you straighten us out?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: You don't give me too much to work with in your letter, but there is
just enough for me to make a few realistic assumptions that may help explain
the situation. To begin with, I don't think there is a mix-up anywhere, you
are just both taking the same medication for two different situations, and it
is a fine medication for both problems. The medication is most probably a
"tricyclic antidepressant", and since there are a few such drugs available, it
was just chance that you both were taking the same brand. This type of
medication can be very effective in relieving some of the depressive states we
find in medicine. While it may take a week or two for the medication to take
effect, it is one that doctors have been using for some time, and the dosage
can be altered so that the good effects are not marred by unwanted side
effects. Recently we have learned that the same medication has the ability to
relieve pain in some patients, whether or not they are depressed as well. One
of the conditions it works particularly well for is the pain of "diabetic
peripheral neuropathy", a nerve pain in the legs, for instance, seen in
patients suffering from diabetes. And I'll bet that is what you have. As I
see it, you are both doing well, and that is the main concern. Of course you
know I don't think that comparing medications is always the wisest thing to
do, and I am a real tiger when I hear of people sharing prescription
medications without proper supervision. I hope you both continue to do well.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I know for a fact I have my meds mixed up. My doctor prescribes me an antibiotic and a muscle relaxer. When I get home I am taking what I thought was the muscle relaxer every 3 hours as directed, and the antibiotic once maybe 2 times a day as required. Now I ran out of the muscle relaxer, and when I go to get more from same pharmacist, I relaize the mix up! Now I am severely bloated because I have been taking way too much of what is really the antibiotic and have suffered in agony for pain when I was taking the wrong pills! MY Question is: what can I do legally about this mix up? Get reimbursed for the meds, or the entire surgery since I was in so much pain?

-