People who don't have asthma or a family member or close friend who has it would more or less have no idea what a peak flow meter is.
A peak flow meter is a very important device for asthmatics and without it there would really be a huge gap to be filled in the world of asthma-related gadgets. It is a small, inexpensive hand-held gadget used to monitor the airflow through the bronchi and controls the degree of airway restriction. Peak flow meters usually work through a mechanism called "fast blast", because it basically measures a person's ability to push air out of his or her lungs.
This article features important and basic information about peak flow meters as well as the steps on how to use and operate it.
The main function of the device is to measure an individual's maximum ability to exhale. This ability to exhale is also known as peak expiratory flow rate. When an individual is well and healthy, the device readings are expected to be high. On the other hand, peak flow readings are expected to be low among patients who are unwell due to constricted airways.
Both the doctor and the patient can determine the extent of lung functionality, severity of the symptoms as well as the treatment options for asthma. The height, age, and sex of an individual greatly affects the normal device reading value.
Generally, the device can provide two ranges of measurement to assess the amount of air pushed out of the lungs. Low range peak flow meters are used for very small children while a standard range one is used for teens and adults. It must be remembered that adults have larger airways than children that's why there is really a need to have separate device for adults and children.
Monday, February 27, 2012
Posted by N.J at 8:49 AM
- ► 2016 (19)
- ► July (36)
- ► June (35)
- ► March (23)
- How To Get Rid Of A Cold Sore? - Tips For Treating...
- Quit Smoking Tips: Self-help Is The Best Help by S...
- Understanding Bird Allergies----5 Facts About Bird...
- Asthma Attacks - What are the Causes and What You ...
- A Medical Home Vision and Some Lessons Learned fro...
- Medical Home a Hot Topic at AHIP Institute by Matt...
- Conscious Immunity: Tapping Your Way to a Happier,...
- Important Device For Asthma - Peak Flow Meter For ...
- What You Need to Know About Irritable Bowel Syndro...
- GI Diet - All About Glycemic Index Diet by Adam Ri...
- Diet Plans And Menus - The Paleolithic Diet by Lev...
- Water Damage in Hospitals by Leo Nov
- Does P90X Work For Real For Anyone? by Jeff Schuma...
- Dangers of Depressants and Tranquilizers For Teena...
- Food Lovers Fat Loss System – Lowering Undesirable...
- The Skinny On Tummy Tucks by Nick Messe
- What People Need To Know About Alkaline Water Ioni...
- Questions To Ask Your Eye Surgeon by Kathryn Dawso...
- How to Prepare for a Magnetic Resonance Imaging Sc...
- Kegelmaster-Bring A New Hope To Your Life by Andre...
- ▼ Feb 27 (20)
- ► January (856)
- ▼ February (652)
- ► December (393)
- ► November (440)
- ► 2009 (57)
- ► December (49)
- ► November (28)
- ► June (32)
- ► May (29)
- ► April (58)
- ► March (32)
- ► February (54)
- ► January (416)
- ► December (482)
- ► November (351)
- ► October (335)