Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Does Finger Stick Cholesterol Testing Have Any Value?


QUESTION: I recently had my cholesterol tested during a "Health Fair". They
just stuck my finger and paid no attention to the fact that I had eaten but a
few hours before. I was told that everything was O.K., but wonder if this
type of testing has any value? Do you think I need a regular blood test?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: Screening tests using a finger stick are great for getting some
information about their blood cholesterol levels to a large number of people,
and to provide these answers without an excessive cost. While the accuracy
may not be the greatest, the initial evaluation can be used to determine
whether any additional testing is required. Anything under the 200 milligram
per deciliter (mg/dl) is considered good, with the range from 200 to 239
established as borderline high and more than 240 mg/dl a cause for real
concern. You must have been below 200 mg/dl to have been informed that all
was O.K., but if you had been in the high borderline range, for example, a
more precise test would have been indicated. In this case the blood is drawn
from a vein, following an overnight fast. Testing for high density (the good
guys) and low density lipoproteins as well as triglycerides are generally
included, as well as evaluating your level of cholesterol. Even this test
should be taken a couple of times to obtain a valid average upon which to base
recommendations for diet and treatment. I think I would be satisfied with the
results you obtained, but might be on the lookout for another opportunity to
have my cholesterol tested again in this fashion. I have a feeling you need
to be reassured about your good report, and a second "passing grade" might be
just the answer you require.

0 Comments:

-