Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Female Hormone Treatment for "Menopause Arthritis"?


QUESTION: My joints seem a bit stiffer these days, and so during a recent
visit with my physician, I mentioned my problem to him. His diagnosis was a
condition he called "menopause arthritis". The prescription is to be female
hormones, but I would like your opinion before beginning medications that I
might have to take for the rest of my life. What do you think?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: Frankly, I am a bit confused by this diagnosis, as I know of no
condition labeled "menopausal arthritis". While it is true that
osteoarthritis is seen more commonly as we grow older, this is related more to
the years of wear and tear on the joints, rather than to any hormonal changes
which may be occurring at the same time. If x-rays were taken during your
examination, it may be that your physician discovered that your bone
structures were thinning, as a result of a condition called osteoporosis,
which is related to diminishing hormonal flow in women and for which treatment
with female hormones would be indicated. However, osteoporosis is not
considered to be a form of arthritis. I sense a bit of a breakdown in
communications here, and believe that you would be best served by discussing
this problem with your doctor once again. Be sure you get the exact name of
the diagnosis, and his reasons for making it. You are entitled to an
explanation of the benefits of the medications he is prescribing for you, as
well as any side effects you might be on the watch for. When this has been
discussed, you certainly will have a better understanding of what is truly
going on, and the ability to make an educated decision regarding your future
treatment.

0 Comments:

-