Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What is the Condition of Burning Red Feet?


QUESTION: I have a condition that I am told is rare, in which my feet become
burning red and hot. My friends here says that everyone has the same thing
and my problem is not so special. The doctor gave me a long name for my
diagnosis, and if could remember the name, I could convince my friends that I
did not make it all up. Can you help?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: It is true that many people suffer from burning of the feet, usually
due to standing too long, or walking too far in badly fitted shoes. There are
also many medical conditions that can produce the symptoms. The one I think
you mean though, is rare, and is called "erythromelalgia". When it occurs
there is a burning pain, the feet turn bright red and the skin temperature
actually rises. It is the result of the blood vessels in the foot (sometimes
the hands) dilating and allowing more blood to flow through the area. No one
knows what causes it, and although it may remain mild for years it can become
so severe that disability may result. You can avoid an attack by elevating
the feet and applying cold packs. 600 mg of aspirin 1 to 4 times a day can
also produce prolonged relief, as can other medications. Stay away from
alcohol or other vasodilators. He is not kidding, fellows, the disease does
exist.
----------------
The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace
the counsel and advice of your personal physician. Promptly consulting your
doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical
problem.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

It is excellent idea. I support you.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, that I interrupt you, I too would like to express the opinion.

-