Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Information on "Progressive Supranuclear Palsy"

QUESTION: My father-in-law has been diagnosed as having "progressive
supranuclear palsy"--a very frustrating and heart wrecking disease to watch
happen to a once healthy and virile man. Although family members have
searched for information on this disease, we have found none. What can you
tell us and what can we expect?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANSWER: This is an uncommon disease that affects men twice as often as women.
It usually begins with complaints of slowness of movement, imbalance and
falling, and impaired vision, and strikes in patients in the 60 to 70 year age
range. They note difficulty in negotiating steps and curbs, and marked
problems in looking upward or down. It is this problem with vertical gaze
that leads physicians to the diagnosis for it is the hallmark of the disease.
As the name indicates the disease is progressive, and leads to difficulty in
moving and turning, an expressionless face, slurred and forced speech
patterns. Though there are no specific laboratory tests available that help
in making the diagnosis, the appearance of the patient and the slow
progression of the clinical symptoms and signs leave little doubt of its
identity. We know that it damages the nerves in the brain, but have no idea
of the cause of this degeneration. The disease progresses steadily over a six
to eight year period, and mental changes of apathy and dementia may occur late
in the course of the affliction. Trials of treatment have left much to be
desired although three classes of medication, dopaminergic, anticholinergic or
antiserotonic drugs have been reported to help some patients. I am sorry I
don't have more hopeful information to give you.
----------------
The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace
the counsel and advice of your personal physician. Promptly consulting your
doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical
problem.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

My mother passed away from this disease two years ago today. I don't know where you are located but I would be more than happy to mail you all of the information that I have obtained on the disease. You can also email me with any specific questions you might have I can share my experience with you. I would also suggest joining a PSP support group. It's not your typical support group. You can get a lot of information on what to expect from others that are either going through or have been through what you are facing. It was a big help for me. I wish I could give you some encouraging news but this disease is brutal. I would advise anyone facing this disease to be sure and start the brain donation process now, record your loved ones voice-they will loose the ability to communicate before you know it, talk about the inevitable (do they want a DNR, feeding tube, etc.) this is not a decision you want to have to make yourself. Get into grief counseling now. I was very close to my mother and during the last year I was helping my dad take care of her and it really takes a toll on you and your emotions are all over the place. You go through things you never expected and having a counselor to talk to really helps.

If anyone has questions about PSP feel free to contact me directly at bluerivercompany@yahoo.com

Good Luck....

-