The majority of us have been guilty of snoring at one time or another. Though it can be a serious problem for some, most of us fall into the category of the occasional snorer.
Here are a few tips that may help you to stop snoring naturally with just a few minor adjustments to your nightly routine.
Retraining - Avoid breathing through the your mouth. An open mouth drops the jaw and once this happens the tongue recedes into the mouth. As soon as you catch yourself breathing through your mouth start breathing through your nose. This will help to unconsciously train your body to do this automatically.
Positions - An early tool for preventing snoring was a simple tennis ball sewn into the back of a pajama top. When you rolled over onto the ball it became uncomfortable and you immediately turned back to your side. You can certainly try this route or instead try pillows. Sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs and one placed behind your back. This position keeps you on your side and allows your mouth to stay closed reducing your chances of snoring.
Moisture - Lubricate your nasal passage. If you have a cold or suffer with allergies keep your nose and throat lubricated. Throat sprays can help to put moisture into your throat and keeping a humidifier by your bed will keep your airway moist and your nasal passages clear.
Nasal Strips - Using a Nasal Separator. Separating the nostrils with a nasal separator is another effective treatment by opening and separating the nostrils for more airflow. They are inexpensive and are readily available for adults and even for children.
Routine - Establish a regular sleep regimen. When you become over tired or carry a sleep debt your ability to have a restful sleep diminishes. When this happens, your deep sleep becomes irregular and if already susceptible, your snoring will intensify.
Alcohol - Stop drinking alcohol before bed. A partial collapse of the airway occurs when the throat muscles are are relaxed. This creates an airflow blockage and snoring will often begin.
Smoking - Smoking changes the structure of your nasal cells which causes swelling of the air passages and the production of mucus in the nose. With clogged passages air cannot move freely. Smoking has also been attributed to causing sleep apnea which is a severe form of snoring requiring medical intervention.
Weight - Weight loss can also greatly reduce or even eliminate snoring. The less flesh surrounding your throat, the easier for air to flow.
While losing weight, drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes may be habits you might not want to forgo, your symptoms will certainly reduce as your overall health improves.
The bottom line is if you have nasal congestion, take a decongestant. If you have allergies, treat them. And stay away from sleeping pills or anything that relaxes your muscles too much.
As is most things in life, there isn't a one size fits all approach to treat occasional snoring. With a little time, effort and some minor retraining you will eventually find what works for you.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Posted by N.J at 4:21 AM
- ► 2016 (19)
- ► July (36)
- ► June (35)
- ► March (23)
- Losing Weight Naturally – The Honest Truth About C...
- Losing Weight Naturally – How To Diarize Your Achi...
- Losing Weight Naturally – 4 Helpful Weight Losing ...
- Losing Weight Naturally – Top Tips For Developing ...
- Natural Remedies For Internal Parasites by Nick Va...
- Diet Programs And Meals - The Okinawa Diet by Levi...
- Ways to Prevent a Pterygium by Kathryn Dawson
- How to Avoid Needing Dental Implants by Kathryn Da...
- Zen in Recovery - Empty your Cup by Jane Derry
- Zen in Recovery - Ego by Jane Derry
- Snoring and Sleep Apnea by Gordie Guide
- Are You Curious to Find Out What the Signs and War...
- It’s Never Been Easier to Reap the Benefits of Hea...
- Kegelmaster Is Helpful To Strengthen Pelvic Muscle...
- Kegelmaster – Use And Be Healthy by Andrew Rivano
- Kegelmaster – Stop Worrying by Andrew Rivano
- Kegelmaster Pelvic Muscle Builder by Andrew Rivano...
- Kegelmaster The Pelvic Toner by Andrew Rivano
- Do You Have a Sleep Debt? by Gordie Guide
- Common Sense Tips to Help Stop Snoring by Gordie G...
- Information To Help You Buy Testosterone Supplemen...
- Fibromyalgia - The Simple Facts by Anita Lyon
- KSA Medical Device Market Set to Flourish by Shush...
- Growing Your Own Herbs For Herbal Remedies by Nick...
- Kegelmaster Hope For Weakened Pelvic Muscles by An...
- US Generic Drug Market to Grow at 10% CAGR by Shus...
- Learning 5 Steps To Keep Acne Away by Mark De Schu...
- What Cataract Surgery is Available? by Kathryn Daw...
- Sweating Too Much: Educate Yourself About Your Pro...
- Hand Held Pulse Oximeter Technology Allows Physici...
- Pulse Oximeter Use With Lanyards Allows For Vital ...
- Pulse Oximeter Technology Use By Pilots To Prevent...
- Pulse Oximeter Helps To Lose Weight by Jacob Walte...
- Pulse Oximeter Technology Meets Bluetooth And Wire...
- Pulse oximeter used in emergency response systems ...
- Pulse Oximeter Technology Allows Asthma Sufferers ...
- ▼ Feb 22 (36)
- ► January (856)
- ▼ February (652)
- ► December (393)
- ► November (440)
- ► 2009 (57)
- ► December (49)
- ► November (28)
- ► June (32)
- ► May (29)
- ► April (58)
- ► March (32)
- ► February (54)
- ► January (416)
- ► December (482)
- ► November (351)
- ► October (335)