In Addiction Recovery it is said that you only need to change one thing, but that thing is everything. And everything is included in everything. Carl Jung stated that this recovery from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body must be a "complete ego deflation, followed by a profound personality change". Sounds simple enough doesn't it? Yep, very simple, but not very easy. How do you precisely, go about changing everything?
I'm going to answer that question in a famous little Zen Koan, but this little Zen Koan has itself undergone an unprofound personality change of its own. What I mean by that is, that I have adapted some of my favorite Koans, removing hard to pronounce ancient Japanese names, places and customs, substituting with modern Recovery circumstances.
Empty Your Cup
Sarah had almost finished her college diploma in Addiction Studies.
For her practicum, she needed to talk to an 'old timer' in a 12 Step Program, so she arranged to visit with Old Moe at the local Alano club.
While Old Moe was pouring coffee, Sarah talked about the 12 Step Program. Old Moe filled Sarah's cup to the brim, and kept pouring. Sarah watched her overflowing cup until she could no longer restrain herself. "It's overfull! No more will go in!" she blurted.
"You are like this cup," Old Moe replied, "How can I tell show you how AA works unless you first empty your cup?"
I don't think that Zen should really be explained, so I'll leave it at that.
Oh, one more thing, since we are talking about filling cups:
The pessimist sees the glass filled half- way, and says, "that glass is half empty".
The optimist sees the glass filled half- way, and says, "that glass is half full".
The alcoholic sees the glass filled half- way, and says, "are you going to finish that?"
Rethinking Rehab. Addiction recovery, it is not what you think. A Home Away Retreat is a unique opportunity for people in early sobriety to heal, and learn the tools to live the life they desire and deserve, sober.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Posted by N.J at 9:41 PM
- ► 2016 (19)
- ► July (36)
- ► June (35)
- ► March (23)
- Losing Weight Naturally – The Honest Truth About C...
- Losing Weight Naturally – How To Diarize Your Achi...
- Losing Weight Naturally – 4 Helpful Weight Losing ...
- Losing Weight Naturally – Top Tips For Developing ...
- Natural Remedies For Internal Parasites by Nick Va...
- Diet Programs And Meals - The Okinawa Diet by Levi...
- Ways to Prevent a Pterygium by Kathryn Dawson
- How to Avoid Needing Dental Implants by Kathryn Da...
- Zen in Recovery - Empty your Cup by Jane Derry
- Zen in Recovery - Ego by Jane Derry
- Snoring and Sleep Apnea by Gordie Guide
- Are You Curious to Find Out What the Signs and War...
- It’s Never Been Easier to Reap the Benefits of Hea...
- Kegelmaster Is Helpful To Strengthen Pelvic Muscle...
- Kegelmaster – Use And Be Healthy by Andrew Rivano
- Kegelmaster – Stop Worrying by Andrew Rivano
- Kegelmaster Pelvic Muscle Builder by Andrew Rivano...
- Kegelmaster The Pelvic Toner by Andrew Rivano
- Do You Have a Sleep Debt? by Gordie Guide
- Common Sense Tips to Help Stop Snoring by Gordie G...
- Information To Help You Buy Testosterone Supplemen...
- Fibromyalgia - The Simple Facts by Anita Lyon
- KSA Medical Device Market Set to Flourish by Shush...
- Growing Your Own Herbs For Herbal Remedies by Nick...
- Kegelmaster Hope For Weakened Pelvic Muscles by An...
- US Generic Drug Market to Grow at 10% CAGR by Shus...
- Learning 5 Steps To Keep Acne Away by Mark De Schu...
- What Cataract Surgery is Available? by Kathryn Daw...
- Sweating Too Much: Educate Yourself About Your Pro...
- Hand Held Pulse Oximeter Technology Allows Physici...
- Pulse Oximeter Use With Lanyards Allows For Vital ...
- Pulse Oximeter Technology Use By Pilots To Prevent...
- Pulse Oximeter Helps To Lose Weight by Jacob Walte...
- Pulse Oximeter Technology Meets Bluetooth And Wire...
- Pulse oximeter used in emergency response systems ...
- Pulse Oximeter Technology Allows Asthma Sufferers ...
- ▼ Feb 22 (36)
- ► January (856)
- ▼ February (652)
- ► December (393)
- ► November (440)
- ► 2009 (57)
- ► December (49)
- ► November (28)
- ► June (32)
- ► May (29)
- ► April (58)
- ► March (32)
- ► February (54)
- ► January (416)
- ► December (482)
- ► November (351)
- ► October (335)